This recipe is inspired by the very famous Halal street cart food in NYC! It is a staple for so many so I wanted to Veganize it so you can create it easily at home!
In New York City there are Halal street cart food everywhere! Even one on my block. They’re a staple for tourists, lunch breaks or just a casual quick and delicious meal.
I used to get it a ton before going Vegan (mainly falafel because duh it’s falafel). Served over the rice topped with the infamous white sauce & hot sauce, it was just such a great meal.
Now please note that this is recipe is inspired, I am not claiming to be an expert or no it all of this cuisine. This is just a fun recipe that tastes honestly amazing and I am so excited to share it with you guys.
The white sauce I created for this recipe is a bit more ranch inspired but it still has so much flavor and makes this recipe fantastic. Sauce just ups the game!
I decided to use tofu for this recipe and I urge you to PLEASE get tofu that is vacuum sealed. It’s the firmest you will get from tofu and works much better when sautéed. For this recipe I used the Trader Joe’s High Protein Super Firm Tofu . This isn’t sponsored but I’m telling you its the best. I also recommend the WildWood or Hodo Soy.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe! If you make any of my recipes, please tag me in the photo so I can see @plantbasedjane
Tofu Over Rice
- For the Tofu:
- 12 oz super firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried coriander (if you don't have this spice it's fine to leave it out, it took me days to find it at multiple grocery stores)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- For the Rice:
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (I recommend Hellmann's Vegan Mayo)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- To Serve
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved & quartered
- Rinse and drain your tofu, chop it into small cubes and add to a bowl. Add all the marinade ingredients and let it sit up to 20 minutes.
- At this point, start your rice. Add 1 tablespoon vegan butter turmeric, cumin to a medium sized sauce pan and let cook for 1 minute or until the spices are fragrant. Add in your rice and let cook while mixing for 3 minutes to toast the rice. Add in your vegetable broth and let it come to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer and cover pan. Let cook for 15 minutes then remove from heat and allow it to sit for another 15 minutes. Fluff rice and season with salt & pepper.
- As the rice cooks create your white sauce and make your tofu. Combine all the white sauce ingredients and thin with hot water if needed.
- Bring a medium sized sauté pan to medium heat with some oil. Add in your tofu and cook for 10 minutes. Let cook until all sides have browned. I liked using a spatula with this so I could easily flip the tofu and allow all sides to brown evenly.
- Cut up your lettuce and tomatoes & serve! Pour white sauce over everything as well as your Sriracha.
This was so good! Even my chicken and rice eating husband loved it!
That makes me so happy to hear! I’m glad you guys enjoyed!