This recipe is inspired by the very famous Halal street cart food in NYC! It is a staple for so many so I wanted to Veganize it so you can create it easily at home!
In New York City there are Halal street cart food everywhere! Even one on my block. They’re a staple for tourists, lunch breaks or just a casual quick and delicious meal.
I used to get it a ton before going Vegan (mainly falafel because duh it’s falafel). Served over the rice topped with the infamous white sauce & hot sauce, it was just such a great meal.
Now please note that this is recipe is inspired, I am not claiming to be an expert or no it all of this cuisine. This is just a fun recipe that tastes honestly amazing and I am so excited to share it with you guys.
The white sauce I created for this recipe is a bit more ranch inspired but it still has so much flavor and makes this recipe fantastic. Sauce just ups the game!
I decided to use tofu for this recipe and I urge you to PLEASE get tofu that is vacuum sealed. It’s the firmest you will get from tofu and works much better when sautéed. For this recipe I used the Trader Joe’s High Protein Super Firm Tofu . This isn’t sponsored but I’m telling you its the best. I also recommend the WildWood or Hodo Soy.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe! If you make any of my recipes, please tag me in the photo so I can see @plantbasedjane
- For the Tofu:
- 12 oz super firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried coriander (if you don't have this spice it's fine to leave it out, it took me days to find it at multiple grocery stores)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- For the Rice:
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (I recommend Hellmann's Vegan Mayo)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- To Serve
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved & quartered
- Rinse and drain your tofu, chop it into small cubes and add to a bowl. Add all the marinade ingredients and let it sit up to 20 minutes.
- At this point, start your rice. Add 1 tablespoon vegan butter turmeric, cumin to a medium sized sauce pan and let cook for 1 minute or until the spices are fragrant. Add in your rice and let cook while mixing for 3 minutes to toast the rice. Add in your vegetable broth and let it come to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer and cover pan. Let cook for 15 minutes then remove from heat and allow it to sit for another 15 minutes. Fluff rice and season with salt & pepper.
- As the rice cooks create your white sauce and make your tofu. Combine all the white sauce ingredients and thin with hot water if needed.
- Bring a medium sized sauté pan to medium heat with some oil. Add in your tofu and cook for 10 minutes. Let cook until all sides have browned. I liked using a spatula with this so I could easily flip the tofu and allow all sides to brown evenly.
- Cut up your lettuce and tomatoes & serve! Pour white sauce over everything as well as your Sriracha.