Baked, Crispy Sesame Tofu
Inspired by my Bang Bang Tofu recipe, I decided to switch it up but use Cauliflower instead of tofu as the base, and make a sesame sauce.
Who knew that baking your tofu in panko could actually be crispy and delicious? You definitely do not need to deep fry something to make it taste good.
I had such a good time whipping up this dish, inspired by my own past recipes. Not everyone likes tofu, and I wanted to be able to come up with a dish anyone could enjoy.
This is particularly delicious over some rice with avocado and edamame! However, broccoli works just as good too!
I hope that you guys enjoy this recipe!
If you ever make any of my recipes, don’t forget to tag me at @plantbasedjane or hashtag #plantbasedjane so I can see!
- For the Cauliflower
- 1 Small Head of Cauliflower
- 1 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 1/4 Cup Water
- For The Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tsp Corn Starch
- Pre-heat your oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and cut your cauliflower into smaller florets
- Set up your breading station. Combine your flour and water in a bowl. Add water gradually to form a slightly thinner version of a pancake batter. You don't want it too thick.
- Add your panko to another bowl and begin the process. Dip each floret into the wet batter, to the panko, to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure all florets are evenly coated with batter and panko. Repeat process until all the florets are breaded.
- Place in oven for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, flip and cook an additional 20 minutes. Ovens vary, so keep a watchful eye.
- When the florets are almost done cooking, begin to make your sauce. Add all your sauce ingredients into a bowl and mix to combine & make sure the corn starch isn't too clumpy.
- Heat a sauce pan on low-medium heat and add your sauce. Cook until thickened (this should only take 1-2 minutes). When florets are done, add them to a bowl and pour the sauce over. Mix and make sure all the florets are evenly coated.
- Top with some sesame seeds and green onions. Serve immediately!