Awhile back I asked you guys what you wanted to see on my blog in terms of recipes. Surprisingly, I got a lot of requests to do casseroles. This is surprising to me, well, because I’ve never made a casserole in my life! Thinking about how I could make one, I brainstormed different ideas. Suddenly, broccoli popped into my head. If you didn’t know, broccoli is my all time favorite vegetable. I thought it would be a good idea to create my first casserole ever using a food item I loved.
I thought it would be a good idea to use a vegetable I loved because it is something I feel comfortable with. So what goes well with broccoli? VEGAN CHEESE SAUCE! I didn’t want to stick to strictly Vegan cheese, or create the standard carrot-potato mix, so I decided to brain storm.
What does brain storming mean to me? Going through my pantry like a mad woman trying to decide what could work. First thing I found: A can of cannellini beans! I know beans are a great substitute in recipes to still maintain a creamy flavor and texture without all the fat from vegan cheese or milks.
You could pair this casserole up with any side. I thought rice would be a nice component because rice is great and goes really well with broccoli!
The other great thing about this recipe is that it is NUT FREE. Being allergic to all nuts, I love to create new ways to enjoy creamy dishes for me and others who are also allergic to nuts.
This dish is non-vegan approved and a great item to bring to parties or make for your family one evening!
Remember if you ever make any of my recipes, tag me on Instagram @plantbasedjane so I can see!
- 2 Pounds Broccoli Florets
- 1 15oz Can Cannellini Beans (Sub any white bean like navy, etc.)
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Large Onion, Diced
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour (Sub Gluten-Free)
- 3 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/3 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Cream Cheese
- 2 Teaspoons Vegan Worcestershire Sauce (I like Annie's)
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Vegan Cheddar Cheese (Optional, For Topping)
- 1/4 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your broccoli for 3-4 minutes, or until it starts to become tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend your washed beans and 1/4 cup water until smooth. Set aside.
- Chop up your onion and garlic finely and sauté in a pan with sides with some water until translucent (around 5-6 minutes). Add garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- After 3-4 minutes, add in your flour and let cook for another minute.
- Add in your vegetable broth and pureed beans and mix until thick.
- After your sauce thickens up, add in your nutritional yeast, vegan cream cheese, Worcestershire, black pepper and salt. Let cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- If sauce seems slightly running, add in a tablespoon of flour and mix. Take off heat.
- Put your broccoli in an oven safe dish and pour sauce over. Mix to combine. Add your bread crumbs and optional Vegan Cheddar and put in oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn broil on high and let the panko toast up. Keep a watchful eye on it as it can burn very quickly.
- Take out an enjoy!